If you take care of your boots, they will take care of you. We build our products to last, but they do take a bit of a commitment on your side. Don’t leave your leather products in direct sunlight, near heaters, or in a fire—this will damage the leather.
Feel free to use your own routine, but for ease of mind, here is what we recommend.
For care of calfskin footwear:
- Buy yourself a horsehair brush, like this one or this one.
- To clean, use warm water and a clean cloth to wipe away excess dirt and grit, and then use another clean cloth in a circular motion to wipe dry.
- To deep clean, we recommend Saphir Renomat for an in-depth cleaning of the leather’s pores and hard-to-reach dirt.
- If you do anything to care for your product, conditioning might be the most important step. It’s kind of like toner for your face (and if you aren’t already, you should really start using toner). Conditioning helps preserve your beautiful Italian leather and extends the life of your shoes. We recommend Saphir Renovateur, a leather hydrator that softens and nourishes. Dab on the recommended amount to cover the boots, massage into the leather in a circular motion, and then let dry. Once dry, use your brush to smooth out the upper.
- To polish, we recommend (you guessed it!) Saphir Polish. You can either match the color of the upper or use neutral. Use the same process as step 4 to put the polish on and brush it in!
- We have it on good authority that our boots are waterproof through 20,000 cycles, but we don’t really know what this means for practical use either. If you don’t believe us, or if you feel the water resistance is waning, try using a waterproofing spray or wax. Here’s one good option.
For care of nubuck footwear:
- Buy yourself a nubuck/suede cleaning brush, like this one.
- To clean, wipe down excess dirt with the brush and shake boots out.
- To deep clean, we recommend using this Saphir product to excavate the shoe’s pores and hard-to-reach dirt.
- To protect your shoes, spray with this product in a well-ventilated area. Or, if you’re feeling more eco-friendly, use one of these sprays: here or here. Let dry overnight and wear. Repeat every six months or as needed.
- If your boots are stained, look at nubuck care info here, and think about getting this kit.
If you don’t want to do any of this, totally fine! Just bring your boots to your local cobbler for repair and care as needed.